Tuesday, February 16, 2010

We Got It !!

Praise God!
We got the medical supplies. It took 2 full days with Deezi and me along with some appearances from our new Dr. and Beverly. It also cost us 3400.00 Baht for tax and "shipping fees." That equals about $106.25 usd. Yesterday they were throwing around unofficial numbers around $300.00. It is a two day long story but one highlight was at the end when they finally brought a bill it totaled 4597 bt (~$143.00 usd). When I protested this they eventually told me they could discount the price a little but then they would not be able to give me a receipt. Hmmmm, but I took the deal. I think I hung them up when I did not just throw the money at them and run off with my bag. After two long hot stressful days I think they expected me to just pay anything. So all that seemingly wasted time haggling in Mexico was good for something.

The bright side is 1. We got the bag. 2. I learned a lot about how things work here in Thailand. It is very different than the american way. However, when we left the lady in charge of this customs station told me I should call her if I have any questions in the future, day or night. She also told me how to avoid this situation in the future. A major point I would point out is that every time before we went in to talk to anyone we would stop and pray. We also had many people from two countries praying for us as well. It was difficult at times for me to keep my cool and not loose my temper because I knew most of this was unnecessary. It is extremely aggravating to me when good people trying to do good works are harassed and squeezed for money. With the power of the God guiding my words and actions Deezi and I were able to make a favorable impression. No doubt this got us a sizable "discount" but also gave us good and favorable contacts inside Thai customs, FDA, and cargo shipping. Including names and phone numbers. After two days they know our faces and that we are nice people but also know we are not total pushovers. These contacts may be far more valuable in the future then the suitcase of medical equipment.

Bottom line: God is Great. His ways are above our ways as the heavens are above the earth. Often we do not see the reason for things at the time but if we are following God it will work out for the best but may not work out according to our ideas or plans. ( ok that was two lines but I am excited).

Thank all of you for your support and prayers! God Bless you all!
Rick

1 comment:

  1. Rick,

    Wow! That's great news about the equipment. It's a shame you had to go through all of that frustration to get what is righfully yours. A pretty amazing trip to the village over the weekend too. I'm sure Mark and Brian were almost as excited about eating wild boar as they were about helping the villagers. Your Brother in Christ, Clark

    ReplyDelete