Sunday, February 12, 2012

Dr. Mike and Maria Luskin



We completed another busy week and I have not had a chance to blog. It is Sunday now so we are all catching up on rest and paperwork. One important highlight is that one of our students, Chan Ku Sar, had his appendix removed and is recovering nicely back at the KLC training center. He was back in his usual seat on Wednesday after having surgery Friday. This guy is dedicated! Of course we make use of every good example of real patients we can find, and he made a good case presentation that they all saw first-hand. Thank you all for your prayers for him.

To Dr. Mike Luskin and his wife Maria we said so long for now but not goodbye as they left after a week helping us teach. Maria was also a huge help with her computer skills. She demonstrated to the students how to use the Internet and email. I have included a picture of her teaching with this blog. She also helped with a lot of

technical questions we had for her, and she was able to revamp an old computer donated for student use by Bjorn. Maria was able to resurrect this old computer, which is a virtual miracle! Now the students can practice on this computer and see what the Internet can do. Many of the students still do not have electricity in the village, so forget about Internet. Only 2 have email access . . .sometimes. Most had no idea about email and the Internet other than what we may have mentioned in class. Bjorn likes to call the Internet the “great equalizer” comparing it to the six-gun of the old west because it really empowers the people anywhere they have free access to it. It is much harder to take advantage, suppress, or control a population who has so much information at their fingertips.

Sawadee Krop for now.

Rick

2 comments:

  1. Mike and Maria, What an exciting and rewarding adventure you have been on. I would love to reconnect with you and hear about your work. I realize this is 2012!! ut I am sure you have been doing more goodthings. :) It has been many years. Sorry I am using this blog to do this. I was so excited to see your smiling faces. My email is caril@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike and Maria, What an exciting and rewarding adventure you have been on. I would love to reconnect with you and hear about your work. I realize this is 2012!! ut I am sure you have been doing more goodthings. :) It has been many years. Sorry I am using this blog to do this. I was so excited to see your smiling faces. My email is caril@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete