Thursday, January 30, 2014

An Emotional Evening with the Students

Thursday night was my final time to preach to the students on this trip to Thailand. I had so many things I wanted to say to them but I finally settled on preaching from 1 Thessalonians 2:6-12 in which Paul told his friends at Thessalonica that he felt like a father to them.
I told the students that, in just two weeks time with them, I am feeling like a spiritual father to them also.  Paul says that, as their father, he tried to set a good example for them.  He said that, as a good father, he encouraged them, comforted them, and urged them to live their lives to God's glory.  I realized that is what I have been trying to do these past two weeks with this group of wonderful students.
When we first met, I gave them some arm bands that say "Barefoot Doctors" on them.  You may have noticed the blue bands we all are wearing.  Jim and I promised them we will pray for them whenever we notice our arm bands, and we asked them to pray for us also.
Last night I also gave them bookmarks I had made in America.  They say in Burmese, "As you preach the Gospel and heal the sick, I will be praying for you.  Luke 9:6   Pastor Jon Ulm."  I promised them again that I will keep praying for them long after they go home to Burma.

They were very appreciative of the gifts and my words of encouragement. After the service they sang me two of their favorite worship songs.  I am glad Jung recorded them on video so I can look at them again when I get back home to America.
When a group of us walked back to the dormitory together, the students in the computer class went in the computer lab to start their class again.  One of the male students was just hanging around in the hallway while Jung and I talked about a couple of things.
Jung went to his room and I asked the student if he was going to the computer class.  He said "No" and kind of led me into my room.  Then in the doorway of my room he gave me a very big hug and said in the best English he could muster, "Thank you.  Thank you for your words!"  He was crying and then with difficulty said, “Pray for me!  Don't forget me!”
He hugged me again. I wasn’t sure he was going to let go. I told him thanks and assured him I will keep praying for him. Then he left in a hurry and I said, "See you tomorrow."  Afterwards, I just stood there shell-shocked.
That particular student lives in a very remote area of Burma on the border of China.  He is about 10 miles away from a student we graduated in 2012, so I know the conditions are very extreme by our standards.  The young man that is here now has been an Evangelist for 7 years, and he is very anxious to receive his medical training.  His area is so remote that he had to walk for one week across the mountains  just to get to the road that would take him to Yangon where the students applied for their visas.
Their devotion to Christ humbles me.  I am so honored to work with them even for a short time.  My church is honored to support this ministry.  And we are honored to pray for them as often as we can.  I told them last night that God is bringing Revival to Burma in the midst of the many changes their country is going through.  I told them they are a vital part of what God is doing.  Will you pray for them also?

One other thing. There is a group of people I must recognize and honor.  Without them and their daily sacrifices, the Barefoot Doctor School would come to a screeching halt.  They are the cooks!  They are the workers who fix our meals, wash our clothes, keep our rooms clean, and serve us in many other ways.  I don't have all of their pictures, but I will post the ones I have.  We are so grateful for the wonderful meals we have been eating.  These brothers and sisters go out of their way to take care of us, and they are some of the most important people in God's Kingdom.  We honor them one and all!


Today is the day that I hand things off to Rick Astone, the Dean for the Barefoot Doctor School. A few minutes ago I officially introduced him to the students, and today we are discussing everything that has happened up to this point so there is a smooth transition.  This weekend Dr. Nilson will also arrive.  Next week the doctors and nurses who will be doing the rest of the medical training will arrive week by week. All of them are coming at their own expense.  God is good!
Thanks for following our blog, and thanks for your prayers.
Jon

1 comment:

  1. Well said Jon! I know this means a great deal to the students.
    Rick

    ReplyDelete