Saturday, January 18, 2014

Barefoot Doctor School Begins on Monday!!!

Hey, Everyone!
Jim Winter and I just arrived this Saturday morning in Chiang Mai, tired from our journeys but very excited to be here!
We both arrived about the same time and were greeted by Suradet and Elizabeth with their bright, smiling faces.  They immediately drove us to the Kalnin Learning Center so we could settle into our rooms and start getting ready for the students who will arrive Sunday evening.


I was very concerned about coming through Customs with two suitcases containing many medical supplies for our students.  The last couple of years we have had some items taken from our bags for one reason or another, and I was praying that God would give the Customs official a favorable attitude toward me.  It turned out God had an even better plan.
My flight included an extra layover and a change of airlines in Bangkok.  When I arrived in Bangkok they put me through Immigration even though it wasn't the end of my journey.  I was changing from Qatar Airways to Thai Airways, so they counted my arrival as an international flight and then my last flight a domestic one.
The result was that I went through Immigration without my suitcases, as they were being transferred from one airline to the other.  Then when I got to Chiang Mai I was told to go to the international baggage claim, but I never had to go through Customs there because I had already done that in Bangkok.  I picked up my two big suitcases and walked right past the Customs people who just smiled at me!
I guess we know what to do now, IF the traveler is willing to make an extra stop in Bangkok.


Jim and I just met for the first time today, so it has been very good to learn more about each other because we will be teaching together all of next week. We also got to have an extended visit with Jung Dangshing so we could anticipate the arrival of the students tomorrow.  I have a lot of Orientation things to do with Jung tomorrow, and Jim and I both will be working on our Bible lessons again tomorrow afternoon.
We are heading to the Beulah Christian Church tomorrow morning.  It will be good to see some more of our friends there!
Thanks to all of you who are praying for the safe arrival of both students and teachers for the Barefoot Doctors School.  It is apparent that God has some amazing plans for the Class of 2016!
Please check this blog frequently now for the next 6 or 7 weeks.
Jon





1 comment:

  1. It was a real joy to read the update. We thank God for how everything worked out going through customs. We'll continue to pray and look for each bit of news you put on the blog. We're excited about heading to VA on Tuesday. Dad & Mom

    ReplyDelete