Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Bible Training at Barefoot Doctors School

Two days of Bible training have already been accomplished.  That's hard for us to realize since most of us are 12-14 hours BEHIND the time-zone in Thailand.  When we get up in the morning the students and teachers have already finished their day!
Let me try to catch you up a little bit...
On Bob Johnson’s first teaching day at the Barefoot Doctors School, he said, “I enjoyed the time with the staff and attenders very much. I'm encouraged by their attentiveness and their heart to learn and develop as leaders.  This week I will be focusing on lessons from the gospel of Luke pertaining to discipleship, leadership and evangelism.”
This first day Bob emphasized that following Jesus requires Lordship and Fellowship:  Lordship because we must be willing to leave whatever God prompts us to leave behind, and Fellowship because we must learn to walk alongside Jesus’ other disciples.  He also spoke from Luke 7 and emphasized that as leaders we must follow Jesus’ example by striving to have our actions match our words. He and the students also discussed the six healing miracles in Luke 5-6 to see how our faith in Jesus is part of the healing ministry Barefoot Doctors do every day.
Bob encouraged the students to be on the lookout for people who are open to the gospel and to realize that, like Jesus, we will receive different responses when we share the gospel.
 
In the first session, Jim Winter taught the first of several lessons about Spiritual Warfare he is teaching from Ephesians 6:10-20.  He explained why he believed that 'Spiritual Armor' is crucial in our ministries. Jim focused on Paul's relationship with the Church at Ephesus and his call to them to take part in the battle between God and Satan.
On this first day of class, Jim and the students discovered that God calls us into the battlefield, and when He calls us He strengthens us for the battle. He equips us for the battle. Over the next several days they will be looking at the specific ways God has prepared and equipped us for spiritual warfare. 

On this first day, Jung wanted to share a testimonial from one of our students,  Ninsungbra.  We mentioned her yesterday. Here is her testimony about coming to the Barefoot Doctors School.


"My name is Ninsungbra from Marangdong village, Konglangpu District, northern Myanmar.  My village is 12 days walking distance from Putao where I catch my flight to come to Chiang Mai, Thailand to attend the Barefoot Doctors training.  
"Konglangpu is a small village town about three days’ walking distance from my village.  It has a small hospital but no government-trained doctor.  After I finished my first year training, I began taking care of over 400 people from six villages, including my home village.  I am the only person that has some medical training to see sick people in my area. 
"I am very happy that I can come back this year to get more training and to study the Bible with Bob and Jim."

Thanks for following our blog.  We will continue to post the news from each day, so keep coming back to hear what's going on.
Jon



No comments:

Post a Comment