Thursday, January 15, 2015

Day 4 Bible Teaching by Bob and Jim



Bible Week: Day Four

Bob Johnson wrote:
I continue to be encouraged by all the attenders.  I'm humbled by their hearts for God and their desire to learn from His Word to become more effective ministers.
In my first talk today I shared some insights on the Kingdom of God, primarily from Luke 18.  I emphasized that the Kingdom of God is both 'now' and 'not yet' and that presently the Kingdom of God is where the King is ruling and that our role is to please the King.
From the stories of Luke 18 I shared three ways we can please our King in ministry:  choosing persistence in our prayer life and ministry, avoiding pride or looking down on others in our ministry and community, and being totally dependent on Him for any fruit in our lives and ministry.
In my second talk I shared some insights on evangelism from the last part of Luke 18 and Luke 19.  Before people become committed to God they first become curious, and we can help them with their curiosity and lead them to pursue God more. I also shared that a commitment to God is not evidenced by a prayer life but by a changed life.  From Jesus' example, I shared that even knowing that he would soon be arrested, whipped, spit on, mocked and killed, he still was not so consumed with his life to not notice the seekers around him.  As ministers, we share heavy burdens but God can give us the strength to look beyond ourselves and help lead others to Christ.
-------------------------------------------------
On Day 4, Jim Winter continued in the series of studies in 'Spiritual Armor' from Ephesians 6.  He focused upon the 'Helmet of Salvation,' and the 'Sword of Spirit,' which is the Word of God.  The students were reminded that it is only in using the Word of God we will defeat the evil one.

Jim is also an excellent musician.  He delights in sharing songs with the students and hearing their songs.  He and the students who play guitar (which is at least 5 or 6 of them!) enjoy comparing notes about guitar-playing.  
Here is a picture of him playing another one of his songs for the students.  
 

It was a great blessing for me last evening to skype with the students and staff as they were getting ready to start Day 4 of their Bible teaching. They were all smiling and waving at me as we talked for a few minutes.  They also sang me one of their Christian songs about serving the Lord.  I told them I am sorry that I could not be with them this year but that I was so glad to see them excited about the opportunity to learn more and become better equipped. 
We all are so grateful for the support the Barefoot Doctor School is receiving from individuals and churches throughout the USA and Canada, as well as other places.
Thanks for following our blog.  Please pray for Rick Astone and Bjorn Nilson as they get ready to leave for Thailand.  They will be followed by many doctors and other medical professionals from the USA and Canada as the medical training starts next week.
Jon Ulm

No comments:

Post a Comment