Sunday, January 18, 2015

First Weekend at the Kalnin Learning Center


Bob Johnson’s final post from Thailand:
“Last night (Saturday night) we had a special time of worship and studying God's Word with the students and staff.  I shared some lessons we can learn and apply from how Jesus prayed in the garden and what led up to that time of anguish and obedience for him.  
I shared that in our ministries we will have seasons of anguish and struggle.  I also shared that like Jesus, what we do before the struggle affects how we handle the struggle when it comes.  I also shared that in times of struggle, we can remember and be encouraged that Jesus was tempted in every way we are and that his prayer can be a good model for us.  His prayer was short (sometimes the best prayers are the shorter ones especially when we are under pressure, and after we make our request to God for direction we are to wait and listen like Jesus did).  His prayer was also honest.  Jesus was struggling and he was honest with His heavenly Father about that.  He was also persistent as he continued to pray 'Father if you are willing, please remove this cup from me' until he heard a word from God. When he heard that His death indeed was the only way to solve the sin problem, he made the choice to follow God's direction for His life.  And lastly, along with Jesus' honest prayer, he prayed a humble prayer.  "Nevertheless not my will but Thine be done."   
As we are honest with God even when we struggle it is important to offer ourselves and our ministries afresh to God.  We can trust that God loves us and knows what is best for our ministry calling and how we might best be used to advance His kingdom.
After some worship and teaching, we had a very intimate time of prayer.  It was a delight to be part of it.” Bob Johnson
--------------------------------------------
The Sunday morning service at the Kalnin Learning Center was led by Abraham, one of the translators for the school.  We were also greatly blessed by the singing of the Barefoot Doctors.  Jim Winter preached from 2 Corinthians 12:9, which is our Lord's answer to Paul's plea for Him to take away his 'thorn in the flesh.'  The Lord said, "My grace is sufficient for you - my strength is made perfect in weakness.” 
At the close of the service we celebrated Communion, and then Pastors Bob and Jim were privileged to pray for one of our church families whose son was celebrating his third birthday.
Sunday afternoon, Jim Winter and Simon Percy (one of our previous Bible teachers) went on their way to conduct a pastor’s conference in western Thailand.  Bob Johnson got ready to fly home to San Diego to continue his preaching minister there.   
We are SO blessed to have excellent Bible teachers like these brothers who come at their own expense to be part of the Barefoot Doctors School.  Please thank God for them.  I know the students do.

Here are two more testimonies, one from a student and one from a short term missions worker from the San Diego area (a member of the Rock Church there).

Khin Sein
Hello my name is Khin Sein and I am from Maeli Pago Akha village from Eastern Shan State, Myanmar.  I want to share with FLC and the instructors and supporters at the school what Christians in my area have said about my ministry.  They said that what I have been doing this past year, after I finished my first year training at the barefoot doctors school, was exactly what they have been praying for a long time - providing care for their physical needs and treating their hearts.
Now I have witnessed that what the barefoot doctors are doing in our ministry is something that paves the way for doing evangelism.  Now I have been invited to go to other Akha, Shan and Pa Laong villages, who have widely opened their doors to do medical work and to share the Gospel.
What I learned this week from Jim really encouraged me.  He said whenever we face obstacles or when people oppose us, we must expect some people to be against us. Satan is behind them and they are against God, who sends us to do His work.  So, Jim said that we need to forgive those people and carry on the work continually.

Melissa Fonseca, short term missions volunteer
Isaiah 55:9 says, “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.  When I meditate on the truthfulness of this verse my life can rest assured.  I'm originally from Honduras, a country located in Central America and at the age of ten I moved to the United States.  I am thankful God gave me the opportunity years later to travel to different parts of the world doing short mission trips, and in January 2013 God made it possible for me to travel to Thailand.
During my stay at the Kalnin Leadership Center in Chiang Mai, Thailand I learned about the Barefoot Doctors Program.  Instantly I felt a connection with the uniqueness of this ministry and I started asking questions about how I could be a part of the barefoot doctors training program.  I never thought I would return to Thailand, but God knew I would.  He opened the doors for me to be part of the work God is doing through the barefoot doctors program.  I do not know exactly how it is all going to work out, but I know God is in control.  All I can say is I am thankful to be here and I am excited for everything God has planned for me in this season here in Thailand.

On the weekends, our students also enjoy free time.  Often they pick up a game of Tok Row, as you see them playing here.

As I publish this post, the students have begun their week of CHE training in Thailand. They learned a great deal last year about Community Health, and they are anxious to share what they learn with the villages they minister to when they return home.
Thanks for your prayers, and thanks for your support of the Barefoot Doctors School.
Jon









1 comment:

  1. More pictures can bee viewed on Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Frontier-Labourers-for-Christ/222614331096742?ref=hl

    ReplyDelete